Pet professionals have renewed their calls for dog grooming legislation after a cockapoo tragically died after being left in a cage dryer.
Kilmarnock puppy Harry died of heatstroke on his way to a Scottish groomer.
And echoing that sentiment, qualifications provider iPET Network, which offers Ofqual-regulated courses for the grooming industry, says more needs to be done to ensure pets are safe when they go for a haircut. .
Fern Gresty of the iPET Network said:
“What happened to poor Harry is tragic, and it’s stories like this that underpin everything we do at the iPET Network. “It’s not just about selling courses, even the basics of dog grooming are tricky and potentially dangerous, currently in this country anyone can pick up a pair of scissors and start their own business without any basic security .”
The iPET network offers Ofqual regulated courses that leave students with a high level of competence and the abilities to start a trustworthy business.
Any qualified groomer can then be listed in The Groomers Spotlight database, which allows dog owners to find their nearest local qualified groomer.
Supported by the RSPCA, Street Paws and The Groomers Spotlight, iPET Network recently launched the Safe Pets and People campaign, which calls for mandatory first aid qualifications for all UK pet professionals.
Fern added: “We don’t know exactly what happened to poor Harry, but knowing how to react quickly in a crisis is essential for all pet professionals. Likewise, the proper use and maintenance of equipment as a preventive measure can save lives.
“I don’t think people realize that many pet professions are unregulated, and that’s why we continually work hard to raise awareness.”
Recommend0 recommendationsPosted in